Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Pills, Tumors, and Surgery

Howdy!

As the old saying goes, when it rains it pours. 

And so my saga continues. As many of you know I have been going around in circles with my medical conditions. Well, it has all accumulated to this point. 

First of all, if you don't know what I am talking about check out the following links: 

1. https://alwayssmile91.blogspot.com/2016/10/medical-update-and-surgery-info.html
2. https://alwayssmile91.blogspot.com/2016/12/post-surgery-update-and-results.html
3. https://alwayssmile91.blogspot.com/2016/12/iron-deficiency-anemia.html
4. https://alwayssmile91.blogspot.com/2017/02/
5. https://alwayssmile91.blogspot.com/2017/03/md-anderson-and-future-plan.html

So that brings us to today, and things are in a wonderful disaster. 

Let's go back in time a bit. From mid-October till the first of the year I became very anemic because of my bleeding. I had to receive 5 units of iron and they were worried I kept feeling light headed and like I was going to pass out. The nurses were concerned that I was not improving. They were also worried that the iron was ruining my veins because it took the 3 tried to place the IV. 

I have gone in several times for routine blood work since then, and my numbers are low but not low enough to need an infusion.  

Also from about mid-April to just last week, I was bleeding very heavy again. I was also in an immense amount of pain to where every movement hurt. The only thing that made me feel better was the fetal position, but you can't live life like that.   

After about 2 weeks of pain and heavy bleeding, I went to the doctor to see what was going on that was May 14th. He did his exam and decided that he was going to do a biopsy in a month and for the time being put me on birth control. He had me taking 2 pills a day, one with breakfast and one with dinner, this was in hopes to stop the bleeding. 

I did as I was told, and the bleeding stopped. I then started taking just one pill a day and the bleeding came back, and it was heavier. I called the doctor and explained the situation and he told me to come back in and get another pack of meds/ He wanted me to take 5 pills a day to stop the bleeding. 

Well, as you can imagine if you pump someone full of that much birth control they are going to go crazy, and I did. My emotions were insane and uncontrollable, it also led to me being EXTREAMLY nauseous.

After taking all of those pills for 2 weeks and not really being able to function and throwing up, I went into the ER. I am very grateful and blessed to work in a place where I know and trust the doctors enough for them to treat me. 

They gave me fluids as pictured to the left. They also did a blood draw and tested my iron levels.

The doctor I saw is truly amazing. He was the doctor who treated me and admitted me when I was in the ER 6 years ago when I had my last blood transfusion.

After they loaded me up with antinausea meds and fluids I was free to go home.

A few days later on June 12th, I went in for my biopsy. The doctor was concerned that my tumor had come back and wanted to see what the deal was.

After the exam, we went into his office to talk, and the conversation was not what I expected to happen.


We sat down and he asked me if I was still open to the idea of a hysterectomy. I said yes because I feel like nothing else is working and I no longer want to be in pain. He then went on to tell me that he wasn't 100% for doing it but he knows that my quality of life would be so much better and that I would be mostly pain-free. He also explained that this would fix the bleeding, but the endometriosis was still going to be there. But he is worried that I will regret it later because I will not be able to conceive, and I can live with this.

He told me to go home, pray and really think about it and to let the office know my decision. Well, surgery was scheduled for June 22, yes that is 2 days from now. However, due to billing complications and the doctors sending claims to the wrong company, it has been delayed.

I also got the results back from the biopsy, it showed abnormal cell growth as well as polyp growth.

We are now looking to reschedule and as soon as I know when it will be I will let y'all know. I know that having a hysterectomy is quite controversial especially at my age. I want all of you to know that this is not a decision I have made lightly. I have now been fighting this battle for about 15 years. I am tired, that is a lie I am exhausted and I don't want to have to worry about this anymore. I have prayed about it, and I am at peace.

However, I know many of you will have questions and concerns, and you can contact me about them. I have had time to process this, however,r I do not promise to be fast at answering and I may not answer all of your questions. If you have questions please email me, that is going to be the best.

Thank you for all of your love and support. I really have appreciated the outpouring I have gotten and I honestly had no clue how many people really cared about me until I started telling people about this.

Remember that when life gets hard, keep moving forward and...

Always Smile!

If you feel like any of what I am saying could help the people in your life please share it with them! That is why I am doing this, to help!

I have set up an email list if you would like to join it click here.








No comments:

Post a Comment